Friday, January 15, 2010

Overcoming an Obstacle

The challenge this week is to write about an obstacle that I overcame. This has been a tough topic for me... why is that? To say I have had a charmed existence may be an exaggeration but I don't have a tale of hardship either. And then it hit me, what has been my biggest obstacle? Me... and my confidence in my creative abilities. I have always been a creator, I was the small girl making Barbie her clothes, drawing elaborate scenes that always featured horses, painting T-shirts for friends, making hats, quilts... you name it I've probably tried it. So what happened? Where did that girl go? Somehow I got lost in the world of computers and training and fell into great jobs. Well this year feels like I'm joining the dots of all past experiences and coming back to where I started. Just yesterday my cleaner asked me to design her a picture of cherry blossoms, and my response? I can do that!
{image via weheartit} how it fits with my post I'm not sure but I love the notion of stars in my lap.

7 comments:

Angie said...

I completely relate to the obstacle of self confidence. Why is it so difficult when everyone around us is singing our praises? Congratulations on your shift from hesitant to confident. It's a biggie!

Ivy9 said...

I love the idea of connecting the dots, especially when none of them are numbered. It's like the perfect balance between uncharted exploration and knowing that there is an underlying structure in there somewhere. And great picture for this post. It's like connecting the stars in the sky as well. Nice.

paula said...

Yeah. I can certainly relate to the confidence issue. It is a hard thing to get a handle on. But we, of the creative fringe, need to always be moving forward. I too have always made things. It must be in our blood!

Cindy said...

I, too, understand the confidence thing. I'll eventually be writing about it myself, I'm sure. Loved the pictures of the stars in the lap! I thought it was great.

Libby said...

Thanks girls, nice to see I'm not alone in this. Your words are very encouraging.

Brandi said...

I think that the older we get, the more we listen to the outside world and less to that inner child's voice. "Do this, be this, don't act that way."

I think it's important for creative people to reconnect with that inner voice - I think giving ourselves the freedom to just create without restrictions is a good gift. My painting professor used to tell me that it sometimes takes 100 bad paintings to get 1 good one, and I have to tell you, that really takes the pressure off to make everything right the first time.

Candied Fabrics said...

Hi THere! Just came over from 52 weeks - you did a great job of describing your problem and how you overcame it - you did it very succintly! I'm still babbling away on my draft...Way to go with being CLEAR!

;-)